Translate

Friday 21 June 2013

Canada Killed My iPod

Alright, so I've had time to settle in with this whole data usage BS that looks to have besieged the country and have decided to share my player behaviour results. An odd thing has happened, and I've been discovering I'm not the only one; Apple you might want to pay attention to this next proclamation but:

Canada killed my iPod

It is now a useless pile of tech that I persistently forget to charge from lack of use. With data usage bearing down on me, I can't afford to download apps left right and centre like I used to and my iPod has been discarded due to this one little issue:

*It is not powerful enough to pick up the neighbours wifi unlike my tablet which can pick up six wifi signals and connect to two of them.

So what I did to help the non-linear readers visualise this problem, I created nifty pie charts to show my shift in tech usage in relation to game playing since returning to Canada. Enjoy!

 I call this one the hungry hippo chart!

So in the UK where data usage was a buffet fit for a king, I was eager to eat up as many games as possible. Maximise my exposure and dig right in! Like Hungry Hungry Hippos it was a race to play as much as possible on as many things as possible.

*I call this one the Pac-Man chart!

Now in Canada where data usage is limited I only go after little chunks of data when I play games and don't want to risk going over my limit by downloading or updating a dozen or two games all the time. Just like Pac-Man I'm creeping about picking at things and only tactfully going after the power pellet when it's really worth it.

This has also has an extreme impact on the amount of games I play with my primary focus these days being low budget browser based FB games that won't eat down my data usage. I feel so alone... Alone, cold and locked out of a world I love so uber muchly.

I used to play a dozen games at a time. Every night spending a couple of hours checking in with them all, collecting my dailies and progressing a few steps. Since coming back I have bid farewell to: Clash of Clans, Zombie Jombie (not that they were doing anything with that anymore), Haypi Kingdom, Tiny Farm, World of Magic, Steam and Core Online to name a few.

I'm playing Hellfire and Puzzles & Dragon (on my tablet)...
I'm playing Candy Crush Saga, Mousehunt, Here Be Monsters and Plants vs Zombies Adventures on Facebook...

Instead of going outside to play my games, I am now going outside to admire the barren back yard.

As I mentioned before as well, I'm not the only person who has discarded their iPod in light of these restrictions. I know other people who have told me they have no idea why they bought they their iPod as it's pretty much useless.

How many of the tech companies are losing a market because of this? Rogers, Bell, AT&T and whoever else is responsible for networks here must really have it out for the companies producing tech that requires wifi by which to function I tell you.

By the time the data usage is lifted my iPod will probably be so obsolete it won't be worth charging that one final time. :s 

Dear iPod,

You were a great friend. I loved you dearly. You entertained me during the hard times and the leisure times. Your memory has not been soiled and you will always hold a special place in my heart. Here's hoping we can once again enjoy each other's company before you need to be sent to the great tech graveyard in the sky... QQ

No comments:

Post a Comment