Translate

Friday 22 March 2013

Ogres

We all know what trolls are in the online sense, but for this post I want to discuss what I call the Ogres. These are companies that offer what appears to be a free service then later put restrictions on you that weren't detailed when you first started using their product or aren't actually openly explained to you after they have implemented them.

This does happen in the gaming world but more so with other entertainment products. For this entry I choose to pick on Spotify for I am willing to listen to your adverts but when you market yourself as a 'listen to the music you want when you want' and don't specify; 'but if you don't pay you can only listen to the music you want so many times and only for so long' you become an Ogre.

This causes the users of your services to feel somewhat cheated and you don't win many conversion through destroying the trust your potential customers had in you. Consumer trust is just as applicable online as it is in the physical shops.

No one wants to to be enticed into a shop with reassurances that everyone will receive a special offer only to discover the 'everyone' mentioned in the fine print is actually the first five hundred customers and you're now the five hundredth and sixth. Sorry about that...

Ogreism also leads people to examine your product at greater depth. You lose the complacency angle and the brand favourtism as a result. Let's explain it this way:

- Spotify asks £10 a month to listen to whatever you want online and off line.

-In the span of a year you have spent £120.

-That equals 24 music CDs annually or more depending if you buy from second hand shops.

-24 CDs will offer between 240-300 tracks

-That price also equals out to 150+ iTunes downloads.

-At the moment on Spotify I have 123 tracks (45 of which are seasonal holiday songs)

-As such I would get greater value from iTunes

-I very much have no qualms buying from second hand music shops however

*Especially considering Spotify hasn't had 20% of the tracks I have wanted to listen to on their service

This is just one example of Ogreism. Paywalls are quickly becoming the norm. I know of several games where you can't progress unless you're willing convert to paying. Those are dirty tactics I can't stand behind. I don't care if the grade of the slope equals out to a month worth of my time, I will commit to it if it's worth it. Just as I am willing to watch adverts during online television services or going back to the beginning every fifth song on Spotify.

I am earning you money through marketing; if that isn't good enough then why make it an option? I have tried your product and it's not bad I will give you that, but it's not worth THAT much and seeing as your free service lacks clarity I can no longer trust your paid service to be as well.

So hats off to the Ogres. Those companies that do because they feel you should pay to adore their products and impress them!

In the coming months I hope to discover Napster or Rdio has perfected the formula. Glad to see you're still kicking Napster! Long time no see. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment